Visit America’s largest railway museum and see some spectacular exhibits in The Illinois Railway Museum, home to 25 spectacular steam locomotives, over 45 diesels, and countless other locomotives, then see how the town is tied to the railroad industry in The Trains of Galesburg.
Train History: Head to one of the most outstanding railroad museums in the country in The Illinois Railway Museum. Get an up-close look at some of the major exhibits at America’s largest railway museum, including the Frisco 2-10-0 steam locomotive from fire-up to operation. Plus, see the Shay steam locomotive, CB&Q E5 diesel and matching Nebraska Zephyr, streetcars, rapid transit, North Shore interurbans, the Electroliner, “Little Joe” electric #803, trolley busses and lots more!
The Trains of Galesburg: Visit one of the Midwest’s busiest railroad towns: Galesburg, Illinois. This modern-day railroad hotspot has lines radiating out in seven directions, including the old Santa Fe and Burlington lines. Visit this important rail hub and see what each line is like, plus stop at the depot area downtown and the junction at Cameron. Galesburg is also a busy Amtrak location. See all of the Amtrak trains that serve it!
- 2.5 hours of spectacular railroading in Illinois!
- See the Frisco 2-10-0 steam locomotive from fire-up to operation
- At the museum, see the Shay steam locomotive, CB&Q E5 diesel and matching Nebraska Zephyr, streetcars, the Electroliner and lots more!
- Visit one of the Midwest’s busiest railroad towns: Galesburg and find out how the Burlington and the Santa Fe are connected
- Watch the Amtrak trains that serve the Galesburg