Airplay: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio documents the history of rock and roll radio -- from the introduction of “The Devil’s Music” by 1950’s AM deejays to the FM pioneers who brought sex-drugs-and-rock to the airwaves in the ’60s. Then witness the silencing of rock radio by government and big-business interests and, finally, see its promise of rebirth via satellite. Hear from radio stars, and watch historic film footage in this award-winning documentary previously seen on public television. Featured deejays include Jerry “The Geator” Blavat, Dick Biondi, Raechel Donahue, “Cousin Brucie” Morrow, Martha Jean “The Queen” Steinberg, Dan Ingram, Meg Griffin and more. Plus, Lance Freed talks about his father Alan Freed’s own rise and fall in radio. Musicians include David Crosby, Grace Slick, Little Steven Van Zandt, Bob Weir, Ray Manzarek (The Doors) and others. Plus, see vintage footage and hear recordings of radio and rock greats like Tom Donahue, The Beatles, Wolfman Jack, Murray the K, Elvis and many, many more!
- As aired on public television
- Relive the rise and fall of rock radio with footage from all the eras
- Hear from deejays Casey Kasem, Jerry “The Geator” Blavat, Dick Biondi, Raechel Donahue, “Cousin Brucie” Morrow and many more!
- See vintage footage and sound of Alan Freed, Wolfman Jack, Tom Donahue, Murray the K, Martha Jean “The Queen” Steinberg and others, plus The Beatles and Elvis!
- Alan Freed’s son talks about his dad’s involvement in the payola scandal