At the start of World War II, the US War Department under General George Marshall asked one of Hollywood’s most respected filmmakers to produce a series of seven films called Why We Fight. Frank Capra, Academy Award®-winning director of You Can’t Take it With You, It Happened One Night and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, would say to the general, “I’ll make the best darn documentary films ever made.” See those seven films completely unaltered, along with two OSCAR®-winning war films D-Day and The True Glory, in this 8-DVD collection. State-of-the-art technology was used to digitally remaster and create pristine transfers from the original source materials in order to ensure this set contains the highest quality collection of war films available anywhere.
Since 1934, the National Archives has been responsible for the acquisition, preservation, and public dissemination of the permanent records of the United States government. Select materials from this inestimable national resource have been assembled to produce Frank Capra’s Why We Fight.
These films are not rated. May contain scenes and language not suitable for all viewers.
- More than 9 hours of film from the National Archives
- All seven films from Frank Capra’s Why We Fight series
- Featuring narration by Academy Award-winning actor Walter Huston
- Includes two additional OSCAR-winning masterpieces
- Essential World War II films for every collection
- Footage of Adolf Hitler and Japanese Emperor Hirohito
- Watch Edward R. Murrow reporting during a London air raid